| TAGS: Bush/War. Politics. Science. Tech. zMisc.
Mega Link Dump
I've had a backlog of links for long enough. I've decided to organize them, comment on a few of
them and put them here. Besides clearing off a task that tends to cling to my to-do list, I also got
to see what sort of links I'm interested in. I have 5 major categories here:
I noticed a maddening number of Bush/War related links. In a good democracy: the people get the
credit for all the good and the leader is invisible. As things stand, there is too much focus on
Bush because he is supposed to represent us but he's doing his own agenda.
War and Peace
Conservatives, The Right, GOP, Republicans, etc.
General Smedley Darlington Butler
General Wesley Clark
Jeb Bush ::: He's a jerk like his brother.
Social Policies and Corporations
- Power Laws, Weblogs, and
An Introduction to Weblogs
The Blogging Iceberg
why web journals suck
Deep Thinking about Weblogs.
Google to fix blog noise problem. I
Most bloggers 'are teenage girls' -
What makes a weblog a weblog? Dave Winer's definition of a
weblog, technically and philosophically.
What We're Doing When We Blog. Meg Hourihan's basics of
- Blogs bloomed in an era of news frenzy: 2001-09-11 and the fall
of the World Trade Centers in New York City which built up to
2003-03-19 and the invasion of Iraq by the US and the UK. Move on
people. Get on with your lives.
- Blogs is a type of One-to-Many communication. It
is only effective if you have excellent content or a
ready audience. Please do not be afraid to go for
quality instead of quantity if you are going to
- Blogs is a type of Many-to-Many commun9cation.
This only happens if your site is involved in a
popular topic. Please do not be afraid to
communicate with a broad range of people.
- Blog content is transient. It cannot replace the
presentation of content, knowledge that grows and
build with time. For that web and wikis are better.
- Blogs are currently [2003-06] over-hyped and most of the blogs
out there are just noise. How many blogs, web sites, news groups,
mailing lists, newspapers, magazines, journals, etc. can a person
- Open Source
The Alice and Bob After Dinner Speech
Are You Missing Out on Code Generation?
- Too Much Free Software [2003/03/29].
- Hackers and Painters [2003/05]. Programming
philosophy compared with the style and Do of painters.
- Strong Typing vs. Strong Testing [2003/05/02].
http://research.microsoft.com/projects/ilx/fsharp.htm. "F# is meant to bridge the best of the
functional, imperative, object-oriented and typed-classed languages".
- Migration Towards Web Apps
- Desktop computers and desktop apps are not going away but there seems to be a trend
towards web apps.
- The web apps are ASP pages (Active Server Pages) and CGIs (Computer Gateway Interfaces)
distributed on web servers across the Internet, intranets, extranets, and stand alone
- The database backend can be any DBMS (DataBase Management System) but the data should be
exchanged as XML/XHTML.
- The portal app to the web apps is the browser and its plug-ins, including custom
- The apps and content are presented with HTML/DHTML/XHTML.
- The thin client is not replacing the fat client because users still want the power of
having their own data storage, media players, media recorders, video, audio, printing,
- Inter-Company Web Apps. My comments on 2001-09-14.
- There is a current shift from intra-company apps and Web apps, to inter-company Web
apps. This is a paradigm shift that has been paralleled with the shift from CLI to GUI (ie
Command Line Interface to Graphical User Interface) since both required a change in thinking
and the development of standards and tools.
- Here is what the major players are calling their various implementations of this shift:
- Microsoft's Microsoft.NET. EG: Microsoft is combining its Web services such as Hotmail,
Passport, and MSN Messenger into .NET building blocks called Hailstorm.
- Sun's Sun ONE.
- IBM's WebSphere.
- Here are some of the technologies being incorporated:
- XML (Extensible Markup Language). XML
documents are plain text formatted in a way that is conducive for the
transmission and storage of structured data. XML was approved in February 1998
- UDDI (Universal Description and Discovery Integration). UDDI
is a standard with an XML based global registry that helps developers locate
Web services (like a
Yellow Pages) and exposes the Web services to the developers.
- WSDL (Web Services Description Language). WDSL is an XML based
language used by UDDI that enables distributed components across different
platforms. It enables OOP via HTML and XML. WSDL is developed by IBM,
Microsoft, and Ariba and thus replaces Microsoft's SOAP (Simple
Object Access Protocol) and IBM's NASSL (Network Accessible Service
Specification Language). WSDL is similar to ORB's IIOP (Internet
Inter-ORB Protocol) and Sun's RMI (Remote Method Invocation).
- J2EE (Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition). J2EE is a IBM and Sun
effort to facilitate the development of thin client inter-enterprise OOP apps
that connect to mainframes.
Page Layout Tools Merging.
- Traditionally in page layout you need at least three apps:
- A raster image app.
- A vector image app.
- A page layout app.
- For the longest time, these were the apps that handled those three types apps:
- Raster: Adobe Photoshop & Deneba Canvas.
- Vector: Adobe Illustrator & Deneba Canvas.
- Page Layout: Adobe PageMaker, Quark QuarkXpress, & Deneba Canvas.
- No one ever paid attention to Deneba Canvas. Well, Adobe is finally starting
to mimic Deneba Canvas and OOP (object oriented programming, eg COM &
CORBA). It makes so much more
sense to use objects and a streamlined app. Let's see how Adobe's InDesign app
Finally, an Opening for Apple in IT
Study: CDs may soon be as final as vinyl
::: Yep, it will happen.
Stupid Microsoft Tricks: Why
the Richest Company on Earth Feels it Needs to Cheat ::: Simply delicious
Code with Top Ten Security Tips Every Developer Must Know
- The Economy of Ideas
- Intellectual Property. Freedom of content. Content (information, knowledge, designs, ideas, visions, pictures,
video, audio, etc.) should be free (public domain) as much as possible. Producers of content should get
recognition and money. This is a variation of the open source concept. Keywords:
- Wireless internet may very well destroy our
chances of contacting intelligent life. Email conventions/criticisms.
- The Tyranny of Email
[2003/03/08]. So good that its like something I wrote. (There
is also a follow-up article).
- Martial Arts
Page Modified: (Auto noted: 2011-11-05 02:44:45Z)