"playing on a seashore"
"Both the victor and the vanquished are but drops of dew, but bolts of lightning —thus should we view the world." -Ouchi Yoshitaka (1507/1551).
[2015-02-02: I'm running some Bootstrap experiments on this site. Some of the pages may not be styled like the others.]
|20150606 002224 Z||Legacy of the Void beta: I'm in!||Blizzard, Chill, Cool, Video Games||Part of a sweet email I got from Blizzard today: "Congratulations, you've been selected to join the StarCraft® II: Legacy of the Void™ multiplayer closed beta test!" I'm downloading it now!|
|20150225 153825 Z||Different first page header?||/productforu … 8pYMU/discussion||Google, Software, TECH, Writing||Glory! After 26 pages of forum discussions since 2011-09-28, Google Documents now allows you to have a first page with a different header/footer from the other page. 0-index!|
|20150208 161737 Z||Breakthrough DNA Editor Borne of Bacteria||/www.quantam … editor-bacteria/||Biology, Biotechnology, Cool, Nature, News, Programming, TECH||The CRISPR-cas system is nature's DNA editing tool (Find, cut, copy, insert, replace, etc.). Scientists are just beginning to explore and use this tool!|
|20150208 144514 Z||Researchers developing more efficient solar panel using photosynthesis as model||www.cctv-ame … nthesis-as-model||Biotechnology, Cool, News, Solar, TECH||Past attempts at artificial photosynthesis focused on inorganic techniques to split water to make hydrogen fuel. Lakshmi's attempt takes an organic approach to make electricity directly. Very promising!|
|20150206 193836 Z||AHRQ Announces Interest in Research on Health IT Safety - See more at: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-HS-15-005.html#sthash.CLBgSTKB.dpuf||grants.nih.g … T-HS-15-005.html||Healthcare, Standards, TECH||The AHRQ just published special emphasis notice (SEN): NOT-HS-15-005 [ http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-HS-15-005.html]. That is, there is several hundred thousand dollars of grant money for anyone who has a qualifying Health IT Safety project.|
Two foods have recently achieved "favorite" status for me:
1. Lemon Oreos. Fresh Lemon Oreos are crisp and do not crumble like regular Oreos. The sweet lemon cream is delightful, but the key thing is that the lemon cream stays melty instead of solidifying in your mouth like the cream of regular Oreos when taken with milk. I prefer to eat 1 at a sitting, otherwise I get feelings of guilt and gluttony.
2. McDonalds Mocha Frappe. I've tried the supposedly comparable drinks at Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts, but the McDonalds Mocha Frappe is better by far. The belnd of milk, chocalate, coffee, ice, and sweetness is perfect. The key feature is the crunchy texture created by the granules of ice. It makes it reminescent of Filipino halo halo. I try to limit myself to 1 Mocha Frappe a month.
I am thankful for the long shot candidates!
Of the Democrats:
- Hurray for Chafee and the metric system!
- Go Sanders! Sanders' effect will be provoking and potentially productive.
- Clinton is the only real Democratic candidate at the moment.
Of the Republicans:
- Thanks Trump, Cruz, Huckabee, Santorum, and Perry for the fun. More sound bites please!
- The realer looking candidates seem to be Bush, Rubio, Paul.
- So far Bush is the one I find most palatable.
Interestingly Bush is the only one to have recently beat Hillary at http://www.270towin.com/2016-polls/2016-general-election-matchups/. (He did it on the Fox News poll on 05-13.)
The dynastic Clinton v Bush thing is freaky.
Bold prediction: Big weather events will make climate change an even bigger election issue.
Since people ask about learning programming for free, I figured I'd make a post with today's answer. (No, none of them are paying me to advertise for them.)
There are many avenues for learning computers and programming, but the following are free and very good.
Learn web programming for free on these links:
For possible paths see these links:
For free courses from universities, see these links. Note that these links also offer courses beyond computers and programming: